8.19.2007

Unity Candles, Important Family Members and a Potential Idea

I've always loved the idea of unity candles and I always think that the mothers in a wedding don't have a big enough part. So, here's another idea I've been mulling around. I haven't brought this to him yet, since I'm still not sure if it's a good idea or just a touch too sappy. But here goes.

I think I want to have my mother and his mother walk down the aisle arm in arm each carrying a single taper. When they reach the altar, his father lights the candles for each of them and they place them in the candle holders. It is these candles that are used to light the unity candle. I think that, just as having my father walk me down the aisle is a sign of our receiving his blessing, having all of the family involved would truly show the unity that will be our wedding.

Again, though, I'm still kicking this around. Thoughts are welcome.

2 comments:

Laura Keigan said...

One thing I really wanted to do for our wedding, which we never got around to, was a knot tying. It a symbolic thing where the minister or someone literally binds your hands together, with certain theads symbolizing different aspects of a good marriage. I really liked this because I love celtic stuff and knot work. Just a thought...

Anonymous said...

Bride- I can just see Mike's mom and me - arm in arm, skipping down the aisle together. Thank Heaven the candles won't be lit. But, in all seriousness, it will be a precious uniting of both families, who already enjoy being together as friends. MOM